It's not secret that Montgomery is a great community — and we've got a lot of great kids, too.
Here's a look back at some of Montgomery's whiz kids from 2012:
• Lakewood Creek Elementary Celebrates Reaching Summer Reading Goal The reading event was themed to "Go for the Gold" for the Olympics.
• Lakewood Creek Students Meet Lawmakers in Springfield Two Lakewood Creek 5th graders were chosen to represent the school's tech club in Springfield last week, and they got to meet Reps. Tom Cross and Kay Hatcher.
• Boulder Hill Elementary Hosts Jarrett Payton to Talk Bullying Jarrett Payton, son of football great Walter Payton, presented his program, Project: No BULL, at the District 308 elementary school.
• Nine-Year-Old Montgomery Swimmer to Compete in Junior Olympics Nathan Mendes is one of the youngest members of the Academy Bullets swim team, and he's headed to the University of Illinois in Chicago next weekend to compete in the Illinois Junior Olympics for the first time.
• Oswego 308 Students Recognized at Allied First Bank Art Show Students won awards in the categories of mixed media, color and black and white.
• The week-long celebration of the school's 50th birthday culminates in an open house on Friday, and included service projects undertaken by each grade.