Temperatures are expected to top out at 100 to 105 degrees Thursday and Friday, but the heat index could top out at 108 to 118 degrees, according to the National Weather Service.
An excessive heat warning is in effect for Montgomery until 10 p.m. Friday.
An air quality alert has also been declared for Thursday and Friday. Elevated ozone levels and poor air quality will increase the stresses on the body from the heat. This is true especially for children, the elderly and those with pulmonary or respiratory conditions. These groups should limit their exposure to outdoor air until Saturday.
Prolonged exposure to the heat will be dangerous, according to the NWS, and can cause sunstroke, heat cramps or heat exhaustion.
If you need to work outside, reschedule activities for early morning or evening. Wear light-weight and loose-fitting clothing and drink plenty of water.
Take frequent breaks in shade or in an air-conditioned space.
Stay out of the sun and check on relatives and neighbors. Pets and children should not be left unattended in cars as the interior can reach lethal temperatures in a matter of minutes.
The wants to remind residents that during a heat wave, the , 10 Civic Center Avenue, is available 24 hours a day as a cooling center.
The , 200 N. River Street, is also available from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, but will be closed Wednesday in observance of Independence Day. The police station remains open.
Kane County also operates various cooling centers.
In Kendall County, residents can seek shelter from the heat at the following locations:
- Beecher Community Center 908 Game Farm Road, Yorkville
- Senior Service Associates 908 Game Farm Road, Yorkville
- Caring Hands Thrift Shop 1002 S. Bridge Street, Yorkville (Monday – Friday, 9am -5 pm & Saturday, 9-3)
- Fox Valley Y.M.C.A., 3875 Eldamain Road, Plano
- Grace Community Church Rt. 126 & Mill Road, Yorkville
- Heritage Woods of Yorkville 242 Greenbriar Road, Yorkville
- Kendall County Health Department 811 W. John Street, Yorkville
- Kendall County Public Safety Center (24 hour availability) 1102 Cornell Lane, Yorkville
- Newark Fire Barn
- Oswegoland Park District , 5 Ashlawn Avenue, Montgomery, , 313 E. Washington Street (corner of Plainfield & Grove Rds.), Oswego, Location, 0 Boulder Hill Pass (corner of Boulder Hill Pass & Rt. 25), Montgomery, Location, 810 Preston Lane, Oswego
- 1976 Rt. 25, Oswego (Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 5 pm)
- 32 W. Jefferson St., Oswego, 1111 Reading Dr., Montgomery (For hours, see: http://www.oswego.lib.il.us)
- Oswego Senior Center, 156 E. Washington Street, Oswego(Monday - Friday, 9 am - 4 pm)
- 100 Parkers Mill (Intersection of Rt. 31 & 34)
- Plano City Hall, 17 East Main Street, Plano
- Plano Community Library, 15 W. North Street, Plano
- Yorkville Public Library, 902 Game Farm Road, Yorkville