In just a few hours, some lucky person might be half a billion dollars richer.
Could that person be from Darien or Woodridge? People in the area have gotten lucky before:
- In May 2011, the Darien Pantry at 737 Plainfield Road sold a lottery ticket over the weekend that matched the winning numbers for the Little Lotto.
- That was nothing compared to the $5.75 million ticket sold at the Minuteman Citgo on Plainfield Road in Darien in January 2011.
Each Powerball ticket cost $2. Players choose five numbers plus a sixth Powerball number. Players matching all six numbers can select an annuitized amount paid out over 29 years or a lump sum payment. For complete details, visit the Powerball website.
What would you do with $550 million? Let us know in the comments.
ABC News reports lottery officials expect to sell more than 105,000 tickets every minute before the drawing. Despite the long odds for the big jackpot, the overall odds of winning a prize are considerably better at 1 in 55.
Since the last drawing on Nov. 24, the Powerball jackpot has grown by over $100 million to a record $550 million. The estimated cash payout is $360.2 million. The last set of winning numbers was drawn on Oct. 16.
The tickets are selling at a "blistering" pace, according to the Chicago Tribune. About $200,000 in lottery tickets were sold in just one 30-minute period Tuesday, according to the Trib, and sales are expected to peak as the Powerball drawing draws closer.
It's the largest jackpot in Powerball history. The winners would take home $327.4 million in a lump sum.
No one has won the Powerball drawing in two months, and the jackpot continued to rise after strong sales, according to the Trib. Powerball is a national lottery including 42 states.
The odds of winning the jackpot are one in 175,000,000, according to KMOV in St. Louis. "Lottery officials estimate 105,000 tickets are being sold every minute nationwide," KMOV reported.
Where to buy a lottery ticket in Darien and Woodridge:
- Darien Pantry, 737 Plainfield Rd. in Darien
- Minuteman Citgo, 402 Plainfield Rd. in Darien
- Darien Liquor, 8125 S. Cass Ave. in Darien
- Heritage Food & Liquor, 7515 S. Cass Ave. in Darien
- Harry's Sweat Shop, 7511 Lemont Rd. in Darien
- Stop 24 Liquors, 1999 75th St. in Woodridge
- 7 Eleven, 2828 75th St. in Woodridge
- Woodridge Tobacco Discount, 8217 Janes Ave. in Woodridge
- BP Station, 6820 Route 53 in Woodridge
- Grocer's Pantry, 7058 Woodward Ave. in Woodridge
Did we miss one? Tell us in the comments and we'll add it.