The Village of Oswego is pleased to announce the Annual 4th of July Fireworks Display at 9:30 p.m. on Friday, July 4th.
The rain date is July 5th. Bring blankets and lawn chairs to enjoy the show. The 4th of July Fireworks will be launched from Prairie Point Park.
The Oswego Police Department will again limit parking and travel routes prior to and immediately following the annual 4th of July fireworks event.
The fireworks display will be set up at the Prairie Point Community Park, which is located on the Prairie Point Elementary School grounds between Plainfield and Grove Roads.
All fireworks viewers are encouraged to use the Traughber Junior High School, Eastview Elementary, Prairie Point Elementary and the parking lots of Oswego High School.
Handicap parking will be made available in the school district’s Bus Transportation lot on Plank Road.
Temporary ‘no parking’ signs will be posted at the following locations:
- Rt. 71 between Rt. 34 & Forest Avenue
- Franklin Street (fire hydrant side only)
- Wilmette & Calumet Street
- Plainfield Road between Rt. 71 & Linden Drive
- Grove Road between Plainfield Road & Arboretum Way
Regulatory ‘no parking’ signs are posted on both sides of Stonehill Road, Theodore Drive, Templeton Drive and Plank Road.
Both temporary and regulatory ‘no parking’ signs will be strictly enforced. As a reminder, parking on private property is prohibited unless you have prior permission from the land owner.
To alleviate traffic congestion, traffic patterns will be altered at several intersections throughout the area and at school parking lot exits. The areas affected by these changes include:
- Both parking lots of the Oswego High School and Eastview Elementary will only be allowed to travel northbound on Rt. 71 (If they are open due to construction).
- Motorists traveling east on Franklin Street will only be allowed to turn southbound onto Rt. 71
- Traffic will not be allowed to travel westbound Washington Street from Rt. 71 or Plainfield Rd.
- Motorists exiting Stonehill Road onto Wolf Road will be required to turn eastbound onto Wolf’s Crossing only
- Motorists exiting Stonehill Road onto Woolley Road will be required to turn eastbound onto Woolley Road
- Westbound traffic on Plainfield Road will be required to travel only southbound on Rt. 71
- Motorists exiting onto Woolley Road from the Traughber Junior High School lot will only be allowed to travel northbound on Colchester Drive or eastbound on Woolley Road
In an effort to reduce traffic congestion, all people driving to the event are asked to carpool. You are also asked to remain patient while traffic is clearing. Rain make-up day for this event will be July 5th same time and location.
Traffic exit/entrance points adjacent to Route 71 are subject to change at the last minute pending any closed roadways due to the Route 71 expansion project.
Other local displaysHere's a roundup of other area fireworks displays and Independence Day celebrations:
- Plainfield - Patriotic Picnic & Fireworks starts at 6 p.m. Thursday, July 3, at Plainfield Central High School, 24120 W. Fort Beggs Drive. Fireworks start at dusk.
- Joliet - Fireworks will start at dusk Friday, July 4 at Joliet Memorial Stadium, 3000 W. Jefferson St.
- Romeoville - An Independence Day celebration is set for 7 to 10 p.m. Thursday, July 3, at Deer Crossing Park, 1050 W. Romeo Rd. The event will feature live music from Hi Infidelity, followed by fireworks at 9:15 p.m. at nearby Village Park, 900 W. Romeo Rd.
- Bolingbrook - The All-American Celebration starts at 2 p.m. Friday, July 4, at Bolingbrook Golf Club, 2001 Rodeo Drive, including an appearance by Radio Disney, kids activities and more. Live music from American English, the Walk Ins and ARRA. Chicago Blackhawks tenor Jim Cornelison will sing the National Anthem at 9 p.m., followed by fireworks at 9:15 p.m
- Aurora - The Independence Day Celebration and fireworks will take place at Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy and Aurora Central Catholic High School grounds located between Edgelawn Dr., Randall Rd., Sullivan Rd. and Indian Trail Rd., from 6 to 9 p.m. Friday, July 4. Fireworks are at 9:30 p.m.
- Yorkville - Fireworks at dusk Friday, July 4, south of Menards on Countryside Parkway. Parade lineup is at 7:30 at Yorkville High School, followed by the parade at 9 p.m. Click for more information on Yorkville's 4th of July Celebration and the parade route.
More area fireworks shows via The Herald-News